Sunday, February 7, 2010

day thirty-nine: be a merry mom or a glad dad

What kind of dad are you---a mad dad or a glad dad? How about you, Mom---are you a mean mom or a merry mom? Now, before you get defensive, my kids will be the first to tell that Ray is sometimes a mad dad---and I am not always a merry mom. We all have our days---and being a parent, managing a household, working full time, starting businesses, being involved in church ministries, etc. can all take its toll on our “niceness” factors. But, like I always ask my children: Are you characterized by it?


Little kids are painfully honest, so one of my younger kids usually tells it like it is: “Mom, you’re nice tonight. Not like you were the other days.” Or “What’s wrong with Dad? He’s in that mood again!” But, just like our children’s bad behaviors and fighting with each other---these situations should be the exception—not the norm.

I have been teaching my children since they were very small to be observant of human behavior and emotions. It is a skill that is vital in ministry and relationship building. A couple of my kids can spot a lonely person, an angry person, etc. a mile away. Some of them wouldn’t notice another’s emotional state unless the person screamed at them or visibly cried. My observant ones are also painfully honest. They ask questions like, “Why is so and so’s mom always frowning? Why does their dad always sigh real loud?”

How do your children rate you? While I am not into making our children happy and comfortable. And I don’t think they have to have bubbly parents all the time. I also don’t think they should have to have grumbling, sighing parents all the time---while we tell them to straighten up and have good attitudes!

Have you ever thought of some of our adult behaviors through the eyes of our children? I imagine they see Dad sighing as the equivalent of their eye rolling. And Mom’s nagging as the equivalent of their complaining. Yet, they get reprimanded for those behaviors!

I know when Jacob tells me he’s glad I’m happy today, it is certainly time for a “Mommy check up.” How about it? Mad dad or glad dad? Mean mom or merry mom? Check it out---and change that behavior---before you get sent to your room!

No comments:

Post a Comment