Sunday, May 9, 2010

day 129: today is "my day"!

"Right after lunch Josiah, Kara, and I picked out our stories for story time. We snuggled on the couch with Mommy and read them. I was so happy ‘coz it was my day, and I got to pick two stories today. I picked Curious George and a book about astronauts. Story time is my favorite time of the day.”
                                       “Jonathan’s Journal”


In the story time excerpt from “Jonathan’s Journal,” it was Jonathan’s “day,” so he got to pick two stories instead of one. When I had several young children, I assigned each child “a day” each week. I first got this idea when I was in teacher’s college, and it was suggested that we teachers pick a different student each day to focus on. It was recommended that we write that child’s name on the calendar for that day (to keep record of who got which day and to ensure that each child got a day) and that we try to praise, help, make more contact with, etc. that particular student on that day. This approach would keep the “non-sqeaky wheels” from getting overlooked.

I applied that to my family, assigning each child a day (Monday was Cami’s day; Tuesday was Kayla’s; Wednesday was Joshua’s; etc.). On that day, that particular child got many advantages and privileges, as well as some extra jobs. Here are some of the perks that I instituted for the child on his day throughout the years:

1. Special focus—I tried to praise, affirm, spend more time with, tie heart strings more, etc. for that child on that day


2. Sitting in the front seat if we went anywhere (Because we only went places one or two days a week during the day during the week when my older children were little, we had to alternate whose day it was each week because otherwise, for example, the Monday or Tuesday child would seldom get to sit in the front seat since we seldom went anywhere early in the week.)


3. Sitting closest to Mom during morning read aloud and afternoon story time


4. Saying the prayer during breakfast and lunch


5. Getting to choose two stories instead of one at story time (and getting their stories read first and last)


6. Getting to have a longer talk time with Dad that night before bed


7. Helping Mom cook dinner that day (before they could cook meals entirely by themselves)


8. Doing an extra job from the job jar


9. Taking a morning or afternoon “twalk” (talk and walk) with Mom




My kids loved having their special day. It meant more responsibility and work, but it also meant more heart-affecting time—and they were keenly aware of that.



*For the complete story of “Jonathan’s Journal, follow this link: http://positiveparenting3-6-5.blogspot.com/2010/03/day-seventy-eight-introducing-jonathans.html

No comments:

Post a Comment