I have been collecting recipes and ideas through the years for using holiday leftovers. Unfortunately, the file is missing, so I am trying to duplicate some of it using some websites, old recipes, etc. Ideas below; our favorite recipe beneath that; and more recipes to come in tomorrow's post.
Tips for Turkey Leftovers:
1. Plan for leftovers by calculating one pound of turkey for every three cups of diced meat (which yields four to six servings of meat).
2. Keep turkey moist when reheating b covering it with broth.
3. Divide it up and freeze it with broth immediately for later use.
4. If freezing it, divide it into recipe-sized portions, so you only need to defrost what you need for a recipe (i.e. 3 cup portions if you will use it in three cup increments for turkey soup and turkey tetrazinni, for instance).
5. Quick leftover turkey ideas:
a. Turkey and cheese sandwiches
b. Turkey in salads
c. Turkey roll ups (wraps)
d. Turkey noodle or turkey rice soup
e. Turkey casseroles—white turkey lasagna, turkey enchiladas, turkey noodle casserole, etc.
f. Turkey taco salad
REISH FAMILY FAVORITE LEFTOVER TURKEY RECIPE!!
Hot Turkey Sandwiches
2 lbs shredded chicken or turkey meat, fully cooked
4 pieces of toast, broken into bite-sized pieces
1 ½ to 2 cups of concentrated broth (make it stronger by adding base)
2 tsp poultry seasoning
¾ tsp pepper
1 tsp parsley flakes
1. Whisk eggs until well whisked.
2. Stir all ingredients together.
3. Put in hot oven, uncovered, at 300’ for one hour or more, stirring every fifteen to thirty minutes until liquid is all evaporated and mixture is sandwich ready (flavorful, but not too wet and liquidy).
4. Use as sandwich filling.
5. Makes at least 15 large sandwiches.
6. Recipe may be reduced as needed or leftovers may be stored in fridge and reheated in micro.