Monday, December 6, 2010

day 336: christmas book suggestions

I have been posting links for our favorite Christmas books (and will continue to do so throughout the next three weeks) just as “links” on FaceBook. This post will contain the few I have shared so far—and I will add to this particular post as I put up links—and include it with all of them later in the month.

Here are the few I have introduced so far. Try to get some at your library soon—or order them at the links below.


1. Just started a new Christmas book that I highly recommend for those with older kids who want "devotional" type of Christmas reading that is on the more serious side: Case for Christmas by Lee Strobel. We have a lot of his other books; some of his dvd's; and some audios--but this one is just the perfect size for Christmas reading and toting around.

http://www.christianbook.com/case-christmas-lee-strobel/9780310254768/pd/54762



2. One of our top three "Christmas compilation" books. Heart-warming, amazing Christmas stories for family read alouds. I can't recommend this one highly enough for ALL Christian families who love to read and share stories together. (Note: Older editions have different covers. Libraries also carry this one.)

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Stories-Heart-Alice-Gray/dp/1576736962


3. One of my favorite easy-to-read-aloud Christmas books--filled with lots of activities, recipes, etc. about each tradition/entry. I like it more for the one-page-per tradition in easy kid language. I have a lot of books about Christmas traditions and symbols, but this is the best one I've found for younger kids.


http://www.bookschristian.com/The-ADVENTure-of-Christmas-by-Lisa-Whelchel-book-p/73449.htm


4. One of my favorite Christmas collections is any of the Joe Wheeler Christmas story books. There are so many of them, so there are many out there for sale used too. Check out the extensive list of collections at his site below. These are heart-warming short stories for Christmas read alouds, gift books, and more! (This is the same author I wrote about earlier with the many wonderful “Great Stories Remembered” books.)


http://shop.cbn.com/cbn/item.Christmas-in-My-Heart-A-Treasury-of-Timeless-Christmas-Stori.9780842336451.htm


5. I do various Christmas "devotonal" types of books with the family each year. I love different writers' inspirational thoughts on Christmas. This year I am doing Max Lucado's "One Incredible Moment: Celebrating the Majesty of the Manger" with the two little guys in the mornings. Very cool book!



http://www.christianbook.com/incredible-moment-celebrating-the-majesty-manger/max-lucado/9781404104044/pd/104046?event=CF

6. Instead of our regular history unit studies during December, we have always done various Christmas tradition books. The one below is one that we have used often (and are using this year). It is so interesting to learn about the history of customs, songs, and traditions. This is a good book for Christian families with o...lder children (say, ten or eleven and up).


http://www.christianbook.com/stories-behind-best-loved-s

No comments:

Post a Comment