Ingredients for each “color” of corn you want to make:
14 x 20 inch oven cooking bag
8 cups popped popcorn
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup light corn syrup
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
1. Spray the inside of a 14 x 20 inch oven cooking bag with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the popped corn in the bag.
3. In a 2-quart microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar and corn syrup. Microwave until the mixture boils (about two minutes), then stir and microwave for two minutes longer.
4. Stir in the baking soda, salt, and almond extract.
5. Tint the sugar mixture with one color of paste food coloring.
6. Pour the hot syrup over the popcorn in the bag, twist the top shut and shake until well coated.
7. Microwave for three minutes, stirring, and shaking after each minute.
8. Spread the popcorn out over a larg sheet of aluminum foil that you’ve sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
9. Cool to room temperature.
10. Repeat for each color you desire.
Note: See yesterday’s post for information about the “colors of Christmas.” And make some colored popcorn to talk to your kids about the birth of Christ!